31 December 2015

Giving her time didn’t mean getting married



I am not in the habit of attending parties to which I am not invited. But my housemate seems to have no problems with that, especially with all these end of year parties.






He is literally jumping from one party to the next, most of which he does not even know whose party it is. For him, as long as there is music, he feels he has a right to be there. That is exactly what happened.






We were headed for a party, hosted by some girl we both know, as we drove past an apartment block, we saw a bevy of well dressed young ladies walking into an apartment. We parked outside for a few minutes and confirmed that there was a party in that apartment.






The ladies that walked in revealed that this could be a more interesting party than the one we were headed for. Naturally, my friend suggested we drop in for a ‘look around’, and if it did not look interesting, we would head off. This time, I was in total agreement.






We walked in, got handed drinks immediately, and invited to feel at home. I walked around to familiarise myself with the place and the people. I could only recognise a few common faces, the kind that seem to be in every place that has loud music. This, however, was to change in a shortwhile.






The music went off, someone started talking, thanking people for coming over to celebrate this very special occasion.
It was then we began to realise the occasion we had gate crashed. The emcee kept on talking about things such as engagement party and launch of wedding meetings.






So, it was some lovey dovey couple kicking off the New Year in love and commitment. Nice! The engaged guy came out first.






I had never seen the guy before. Then the lady came out, and for this one, I knew. Very well. Extremely well, because you see, she was my girlfriend.






We had never really broken up, and in my heart of hearts, I still held the hope that one day we were going to resolve our differences, make up and settle down. She was the one for me, I was not willing to let her get away. And yet here she was getting engaged to some guy!






When Tracy said our relationship was not working out, what I thought she meant was that she wanted to settle down, and yet I did not seem ready.






I could not think of settling down when the company I was working with looked like it might fold any minute, and the small business I had just started was not really working out.






She assured me that all that didn’t matter, what was important was that we had each other. But I did not really feel it the way she was putting it.






So, being frank, I told her settling down was not something I had in my priorities at that moment. She interpreted this as; ‘I am not serious about you’, and it was not long before we started drifting apart.






At some point, she informed me she needed sometime to clear her head. And foolishly, I gave her the time. Trust me, there are always guys lurking in the shadows, waiting for an opportunity to snap up your woman.






Me giving her time to clear her head didn’t mean she could go and get married to the next guy who propositioned her! Myself, I was not even dating anyone else! I had even called her a few days ago to wish her a Happy New year, and asked if we could talk. And she had not told me anything, as if getting engaged was not something she felt I ought to know.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Support

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.