30 July 2016

She won’t give way


There we were early in the morning. My Significant Other had been touched by the goddess of generosity and decided to drop me off at my workplace.


I remain, as always, the eternal passenger, the all-knowing co-driver and pedestrian-for-life. If that situation ever changes and the economy allows me to own a vehicle with slightly more horsepower than a bicycle (and definitely not a donkey-cart, I must confess my upper-body strength is nothing to write home about) then, dear reader, you will be the first to know.


So where was I, yes, we approached a roundabout, still chatting away merrily and that’s when I noticed her on the lane next to ours. She sat at the wheel of her sleek, tiny, female vehicle.


You know, the type designed to fit into any parking space in town, no matter how cramped. The kind of car, that many men fear to be seen driving, even under the cover of darkness.


At the roundabout, we came to a grinding halt, as usual. My driver (ahem!) signalled as he wanted to change lanes and that’s when an unusual thing happened.


Her grip tightened on the steering wheel and a dark cloud gathered on her forehead, transforming her face into one almighty scowl. She gritted her teeth and inched forward, making it clear that she would not give way, not on her life, oh no!


I was amused, but amazed at the same time. I see this all the time and I wonder where this brand of ultra-aggressive female drivers came from. I wonder what driving school ‘produced’ them, really. Want to change lanes? She will not give way! Want to cross the road? She will not give way! Instead, she will accelerate after shooting you a Medusa-like glare!


Rushing a sick person to hospital? She will not give way! Confused on the bypass and trying to exit quickly? She will not give way! Entertaining ideas of overtaking a truck moving at 0.00 kilometres per hour on the highway? She will not give way!


I do not know if this particular driving habit translates into other areas of life e.g. marriage proposals, dates, shopping in Kiembe Lane, etc. but I do hope it does not, for the sake of sanity.
This weekend, please give way.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Support

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.