29 July 2016

A tale of books and videos


Tell us briefly about yourself.
I am Job Bahati also known as Jobbinz West. I am 22years old and I am the second born in a family of fourteen, I am also a born-again Christian.


When did you start directing and producing videos?
My passion for directing and producing videos has been in existence for some long time. I remember starting way back in my Primary Five doing home videos with my father’s Windows phone. I could play around with our family photos and make short video clips. I started Westwood in early August 2015 after falling out with Cure films where I was working; I shot my first video in September.


What inspired you to venture into video directing and producing?
I loved art from my childhood and I am a person who loves creativity a lot, it is the combination of the two that pushed me to venture into the video industry.


What are some of the videos you have directed?
My first video was Byabeyi by Banko, I also did Atanumye by Mcrazy, Wotaba by Carnival Bisonga. I have also done videos for Chosen Choir in Makindye. My Latest is Yongeza Omulilo by Victor Kamenyo.


Which artistes have you worked with?
I have worked with a range of artistes. I have done lighting for Gravity in his two videos Topowa and Easy, Pallaso and Rhoda K’s Clear, King Saha and Winnie Nwagi’s Science (lighting) plus Tip Swizzy and Fefe Bussi. Frank Jah of the Jahlive films gives me opportunities to do lighting in some of his videos. That is how I came to work with those people.


What is it like to shoot a video?
It is hectic but you just need to have love for what you do. Shooting a video requires a relaxed mind, working without pressure and falling in love with the song in question. When I am going to shoot a video, I take time off and listen to the song so that I can get a grasp of the feelings it evokes and also be able to meditate upon the best location for the video shoot.


What determines the video location?
Location depends on the theme of the song. You cannot obviously put a love song in a garage and leave out the gardens with beautiful flowers. Much as some artistes prefer to dictate what and how they want their location to be, I make it clear to them that a poor location will definitely make the song lose its theme. However, the basic locations are always warehouses, clubs, hotels, gardens, arages among others.


What is your best video among the ones you have produced?
I feel there is something different I put to every video that I lay my hands on. I believe all my videos are good although I am sure I did a commendable work to Atanumye by Mcrazy. I think this was due to the location (Lake Heights Hotel in Entebbe) that was very perfect. The artiste was also cooperative and patient which made me do my best.


How much do you charge to shoot a video?
The prices basically depend on the bouquet one choses. We have the Basic bouquet which is Sh800,000, premium bouquet Sh1.2M and the basic bouquet atSh1.5M. All the bouquets guarantee the best and quality.


Who manages Westwood films?
The company is managed by two people, my colleague Eric Siminyu (Eric West) and I. The company is solely managed by the two of us and we are not financed by any person.


How did you come up with Westwood films?
We were initially working with Cure Films but later fell apart in a bid to start something on our own, we wanted to get our own video studio and we had to bring together our finances hence being able to rent a place in Kizungu, Makindye, where we were able to establish our studio before shifting to our current location Makindye Luwafu.
The start as always was tough for I remember we used to borrow some of the equipment but later progressed and procured our own equipment. I have to commend my dad on this; he was really helpful in the whole struggle. Coming up with the name Westwood was also hard but it all came from those words that I remember admiring from childhood (East coast and West coast) the fact that Kizungu had a lot of trees around, the aspect of woods also came in mind hence coming up with Westwood films.


How do you see the video industry in Uganda?
The video industry is still lacking a lot but the ground is still fertile.I will attribute this to the artists who do not want to invest in their videos. I urge the artistes to invest in their videos and let the concepts work, that way we will go further.


Which video director do you admire and why?
I look up to Frank Jah of the Jahlive films. Frank puts a lot in his videos and he makes nice shots hence the best in all his productions. I also love Unlimited LA, the Nigerian-based director, he is very good at what he does.


What do you wish to be in future?
I feel like I am already doing my future and I feel contented. I will just enhance my skills in video production in the near future in a bid to deliver the best in the industry.


Is there anything else you do apart from video directing?
Nothing apart from schooI, I go to campus and direct videos, I believe that is enough challenge for me to undertake.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Support

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.