30 July 2016

Can uniforms be any worse?


Would you like to imagine how your life would be and feel like, if you wore uniforms all your life? I wouldn’t like to, either.


This thought was triggered a few days back, when I passed by Mulago School of Nursing hostels. Imagine going to work, Monday to Friday and most probably at the weekends in the same, oh, sorry, similar clothes, just like in high school.


A life, spent wearing uniforms from kindergarten to primary then High school, and for our dear nurses, to tertiary institutes, and to work at the hospital. I imagine those guys barely notice or care to know about fashion and what is trending.


Why go through that pain when in the end, you won’t be able to put on the designer clothes anyway? And you know how people in the medical profession work all year round (unless on a sit-down strike) cause people never stop falling sick and having babies and getting accidents.


Oh! And their blue or white dresses, and white caps, remind me of an old Nigerian movie, with a nurse who was also the ‘filimu star’ who strived from a very humble background and studied so hard to get a nursing scholarship in Abuja.


I have also never got over the idea of a male nurse because my lame mind was programmed that the word nurse is equal to female.


Am not being sexist, but really, growing up, all those nurses that I hated for injecting me every time I was taken to the clinic were female and then the males were doctors (even if they weren’t actually qualified professionally as doctors).


So, I’m not to blame, but this patrilineal society made us think that nurses were only female.


I know my dear nursing friends are used to the system to feel the pinch of it. You know that when you over beat your child, they get used to the pain and now beating to discipline is out of the options. That could probably be the feeling… I presume.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Support

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.