31 July 2016

She had to learn the hard way


I don’t even know why she was going through my phone in the first place, because i never go through her phone. Probably the messages started coming in, and she got curious, and she couldn’t help herself that she just had to check. Then, after reading my messages, she put down my phone and kept quiet about it. Of course the moment i got to my phone, i figured out that those messages hadn’t marked themselves read, because i had not read them. And unless we had a ghost in the house going around reading people’s messages, the only other possible culprit was the maid, who am certain does not know how to operate my phone. Which left only my dear girl as the sure criminal. The messages were nothing damaging, its just that they were from a girl, Michelle, so naturally my girl’s curiosity was piqued. But, after realizing that this girl was simply updating me about a work project, she had most likely felt bad about it, but nevertheless could not undo her action. so, like a typical guilty child, she had tried to pretend it had not happened.


I wasn’t mad at her, no. i imagined her feeling really bad about it, and considering that this was the first time she had done it, and it was not in her character to go snooping through my things, i let it go. I even realized that that was why she had been so pensive all morning. But, i still had lessons to teach people who snoop. We shouldn’t encourage such bad habits to grow, that would be careless.


i got my phone, went to where she was seated and sat right next to her. And started reading my messages, making such sounds as to indicate surprise, bewilderment, and even shock. i did this for about two minutes, during which she said nothing but i could feel her flinch each time i made a sound. She was sitting up, stiff as a rod. then i stood up, put my phone down as if i meant to leave it behind, but then on second thought, i got it and put it in my pocket. Turning, i gave her a questioning look as if I meant to ask something, but then walked away. i called her from the other room, asked to come and see something.


she came over and said, ‘yes?’. Again, i gave her this long questioning look before i said, ‘you left your makeup kit open on the table, somethings might fall out’. She gave me this look that said, ‘really, is that it? normally, you wouldn’t have called me just for this’. but, she went ahead to close and keep her makeup kit. Then as she walked away, i said, ‘i also wanted to ask you about something else that happened this morning’.


This time, i could see it on her face, that realisation that said, ‘this time, this is it. He is going to chew my head off about snooping through his phone’. But yet again, i asked her if she let the maid take the 5k that was on top of the fridge, because the maid said she had been told to take it. But as i did this, i kept scrolling through my phone, hardly paying any attention to her. This time, she nodded her head, the frustration visible on her face.


Finally, i asked her, ‘are you OK? you don’t look fine, you look really not fine, as if you are unwell’. She insisted that she was fine, then went back to her seat. So i dialed Michelle; as as we talked, i walked past my girl on my way out, giving her a long piercing look, as i mentioned the name Michelle over and over, even where unnecessary. ‘yes, Michelle. Of course Michelle. i saw the messages, Michelle. Am going to revert as soon as i can, Michelle. Thank you very much Michelle, have a nice day too Michelle. Bye Michelle’. I never asked her about snooping in my phone, but that ought to teach her not to go snooping again.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Support

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.