26 February 2016

Kiprotich aiming to lower record in Tokyo

Ugandan marathoner Kiprotich (C) will want to keep ahead of the elite runners when he competes in the Tokyo Marathon this weekend. PHOTO BY AFP 





For the third time in five years, the legendary Ugandan runner will be in the Japanese capital for the World Marathon Major in the wee hours of Saturday morning.






Like fat kids love cake, Stephen Kiprotich, too, takes a liking to the Tokyo Marathon.
For the third time in five years, the legendary Ugandan athlete will be in the Japanese capital for the World Marathon Major (WMM) in the wee hours of Saturday morning.
And Kiprotich never shies away from expressing his love for the annual event.






“Of all the cities I have been to, Tokyo is my best,” he discloses. “Whenever I compete there, I achieve good results and hopefully I will be there at the 2020 Olympics.”






At his maiden Tokyo Marathon appearance in 2012, he finished third. Six months later, he scooped gold at the London Olympics.
On his second attempt last year, Kiprotich crossed the Tokyo Big Sight finish-line in a new personal best (PB) and National Record (NR) time of two hours, six minutes and 33 seconds for his first WMM podium finish after five attempts.






Despite losing his World marathon title in Beijing last August, familiarity with Tokyo gives Kiprotich belief he can offer more over the 42km course.


“First, I would love to do anything possible on Sunday (tomorrow) as I prepare for the Rio Olympics,” he told SCORE.
“When I finished sixth in Beijing (2:14:42), I felt my body still had lots of energy,” Kiprotich recalls about his last marathon. “So, I knew I had to just do short distances to work on my speed since I already have the endurance.”


Kiprotich missed a step and dropped out of the Seven Hills Run in Dutch city of Nijmegen on November 15, 2015. “Regardless, I know I can still lower that NR to a sub-2:04 or so if all goes well on the day,” he added.






A strong elite field that includes 2011 World bronze medalist Ethiopian Feyisa Lilesa and a bunch of Kenyans comprising of Olympic silver medalist Abel Kirui, course record-holder Dickson Chumba and Emmanuel Mutai (PB of 2:03:13), the second fastest marathoner in the world will be in the fray.






KIPROTICH AT A GLANCE
Date of Birth: February 27, 1989
Main Event: Half-Marathon, Marathon
Personal Best: 1:01.15 (Half-Marathon), 2:06.33 (Marathon)
Manager: Jurrie van der Velden
Kit Sponsor: Nike






Major Honours: Gold 2012 London Olympics, Gold 2013 Moscow Championships, 3rd (2012) & 2nd (2015) Tokyo Marathon, 2012 & 2013 Uspa Sports Personality of the Year.


MARATHON CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
2011 – 1st Enschede Marathon
2012 – 3rd Tokyo Marathon
2012 – 1st London Olympics
2013 – 6th London Marathon
2013 – 1st Moscow World Championships
2013 – 12th New York Marathon
2014 – 12th London Marathon
2014 – 3rd Great North Run
2014 – 5th New York Marathon
2015 – 2nd Tokyo Marathon
2015 – 6th Beijing World Championships






dkyeyune@ug.nationmedia.com






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Support

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.