26 February 2016

Nanfuka: Answering the call of fashion



Olivia Nanfuka was not your typical kind of girl growing up.






As others played with their friends, she pre-occupied herself making drawings of dresses, sweaters, shirts, people, among other things.






As she grew older, she thought of getting practical by sewing clothes and that was how a random idea of purchasing a sewing machine popped up.






She started to save money and eventually bought the equipment in 2006 at Shs300,000. At the time, Nanfuka was in Senior Six at Makerere College School and only started using it after the final exams in third term.






“It was just funny how I did not have a clue on what to do with the machine since I barely knew how to sew,” Nanfuka recalls, adding, “I resorted to getting my old clothes, ripping them apart and trying to sew the fabric back together.






Sometimes, I would do the same on my mother’s worn out outfits. Members of my family were always on the lookout for what I was going to cut up next.”






First client
As years went by, Nanfuka slowly began mastering her craft in designing and sewing. In December 2010, a friend approached her to make her bridal gown, the matron of honour’s gown and dresses for her 10 brides maids. “I was like ‘what?’ I have never sewn a gown before. How sure are you that I am going to do what you want?” Nanfuka remembers asking her friend.






Her client managed to calm her down and only responded, “I believe in you. From some of the sketches I have seen, I know that you can make me something pretty.” With that boost of confidence, Nanfuka got right down to business.






She started by going to different bridal shops and watching how the dresses were being tailored, beaded and finished.






“I figured all I needed to do was repeat exactly what I had seen and then deliver on the task,” Nanfuka says.






The results of her first assignment
She made a budget, bought the fabric, drew up designs and got down to work. “I locked myself up in my room and concentrated on sewing until I could not do that anymore,” she says.






Three weeks later, the outfits were ready. The gown in particular was a white and beaded one, touched up with a bow.






“The dress was long, beautiful and elegant. The matron and entourage’s dresses were brown and orange. I teared when my client said she loved the outfits,” Nanfuka says. “That moment made me realise anything is possible in this world if you only put your mind to it.”






This particular work was what prompted her to save a little more money to open up a couture store along Kampala Road in March 2011 called NFKA clothing.






“This is where I do all my work nowadays, mostly by myself. I make outfits and then sell them. When I need extra help, I get young ladies who want to learn, who I show what to do,” she says.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Support

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.