27 February 2016

A new mother’s survival guide

New mothers are encouraged to have a “me” time . This could be yoga or mediation to relax your mind. NET PHOTO 



In Summary



USER-FRIENDLY. Gillian Nantume brings you a quick survival guide for new mothers.






Before the arrival of a baby, there is much anticipation; and a successful birth also brings joy, with many visitors coming to see you in hospital. The same visitors probably followed you home in the first week.
Now, you are alone with baby. The first three months may be stressful to a mother. So, here is a quick survival guide to help you get through.






Have someone to help you
The importance of extra knowledgeable, help can never be overstated. If you are a first time mother, there will be confusion about how to bathe the baby and clean their raw wounds.
“For the first few days, my grandmother took care of the baby’s bath,” says Bena Nakitende, a mother of two, adding, “One day she had to go to church so I had to bathe the baby. I sweated.”
Nakitende had to recall all that she had seen her grandmother do, including the amount of water to put on the baby’s head and how to pat the hair dry so as not to press the baby’s fontanelle (soft spot on skull).
“My hand was shaking as I dipped a piece of cotton in salty water to dab on the umbilical cord.”
Some cultures demand that the child is first washed in an herbal bath. Make sure you are guided by older female relatives on how this is done.






Buy the right baby clothes
In the first four months, a baby’s body is still adjusting to the temperature. On your shopping list, include pull-on pants, sweaters, one-piece outfits, socks, booties, hats, and wearable blankets.
Aidah Asaba, a mother of five, says, “I always buy clothes in bigger sizes to save on the expenses. Besides, my babies are always tall and soon outgrow small clothes. I buy one-piece outfits that can fit a baby from 0-1 year, with three sets for each month.”
You will have to change the baby’s clothes often so you need clothes that are easy to wear and remove.






Feed yourself
Feeding the baby is important, but it is only possible if you are feeding yourself. You need food to produce more milk and to keep yourself energised.
“Young mothers nowadays do not want to eat a lot because they are anxious to return to their pre-pregnancy weight,” says Ssenga Anna Nakirigya, who sells byogero (herbal baths).
The hunger pangs of a breastfeeding mother are insistent so Nakirigya advises, “A new mother is supposed to eat more of ebyenda (offals), porridge, and fish.”






Have some “Me” time
Do not burnout. Take time off from baby to relax.
“My ‘me’ time was during my shower time,” says Angela Lalobo, a mother of three, adding, “Just standing in that shower and letting the cold water flow over me felt so good. Sometimes I would stand there for more than 20 minutes.”






For some women, going to the salon keeps away depression. Also, do some exercises, such as, walking around the neighbourhood. The outside air will be good for baby, and the walk will keep you in shape.
Sleep should also be a priority, so time yourself to have a nap whenever baby is sleeping.






A mother’s experience
When I was pregnant, I read a lot about what to expect, but none of it prepared me for what I was to face. The first two months were bearable because I had help. However, the third month was the hardest. The baby would wake up at night and stay awake for two hours. At the time, I was nursing a wound since I had delivered by C-section.
I was always exhausted and hungry. I hated myself. I had a baby and a house to look after yet I had no help. My husband was supportive. When the baby would cry, he would wake up and carry her, until I had pulled myself together.






After breastfeeding at 5am, I would wash the baby’s clothes. Because of the wound, I would sit on a stool and raise the basin to my level. I could not mop the house, so I would only clean our bedroom.When she fell asleep, I would catch up on lost sleep as well. Those few minutes would refresh me and make it easier for me to wake up a feed her.
Sometimes, even making porridge for myself was difficult, so I bought instant beans and a rice cooker. The food was tasteless, but it was filling. My size depressed me. I thought I would return to my normal weight. It never occurred to me that I could reach size 18. It has taken me time to get used to this weight. I only felt better once, when I went to the salon.






I got a maid the day before I returned to work, but I still had to wake up at 5am to pump my breasts for milk. New mothers have to just accept the situation they find themselves in. I loved singing in the church choir but I gave that up.
Lydia Namono Wesonga, mother of a five-month-old baby.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Support

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.