29 April 2016

How Foxes have made predictions tough job

Algerian Riyad Mahrez has been pivotal in Leicester’s memorable season. PHOTO BY AFP 



In Summary



Premier league. At the start of the season, I predicted that Leicester would be relegated. It sounds like a crime now, doesn’t it?






I have always made predictions at the start of each season. And I have been rather good at it, being spot-on in three of the last four seasons, although that could be down to just how predictable the top four have become.
But I am thinking it is also fair that starting with this season, I should also write a column at the tail end of the season unpacking my predictions or just gloating about how accurate I was. So here goes.
In July 2015, I did say Chelsea would reclaim their trophy because I thought that in Thibaut Courtois, John Terry, Nemanja Matic, Eden Hazard and Diego Costa, they had the strongest spine. Little did I know injuries would limit Courtois and Terry’s contribution, while lack of form would take care of everyone from Hazard through Matic to Costa.






As for Jose Mourinho, I guess even serial winners have off-seasons. Then I thought that Manchester United would come in second because that was the logical direction their progress would take. It turns out though that the methods of one of football’s biggest brains and ego sink in rather slowly. Mathematically they could still finish second, but realistically they will come in anywhere between third and eighth. That is how inconsistent they have been. I put Manchester City third because, regardless of having Joe Hart, Vincent Kompany, Yaya Toure, David Silva and Kun Aguero, I still thought the inconsistencies of last term would haunt them.
I also said that unless Aguero stayed fit, Pellegrini would be on the streets by Easter time. It turns out this, and my next prediction were my most accurate. Arsenal, I said would fall back to a familiar fourth with the ridicule of everyone ringing in their ears.






By the time of writing this, it looks like the most likely outcome. I also said this might be the season that Wenger decides enough is enough. Even if he doesn’t, I won’t be predicting a championship for him anytime soon.
I then expected Liverpool, Tottenham and Everton to continue mixing it up in the Europa pack. I couldn’t have been further from the truth. Everton have been saved from being dragged into the relegation battle by the horrendous form of those below them.
Liverpool changed managers mid-way and could only do what they have done. Tottenham on the other side, could have been champions were it not for the bloody mindedness of Leicester City.






And this is where I need to extend my apologies because I did predict that Leicester would be relegated. It sounds like a crime now, doesn’t it? Instead, what we have witnessed should be a subject for psychology post-graduates.
Only God could have known that a team of discards would put up and sustain such a challenge in this season of misfits. It goes a long way in explaining how predictions should always be taken with a pinch of salt. In any case, see you at the next round of predictions.








0 comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Support

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.