27 May 2016

Nyago ready to rub shoulders with UPL’s big boys next term

PASSIONATE: Nyago giving her remarks at the opening ceremony of this year’s Copa Coca-cola Schools Tourney in Soroti. PHOTO BY DENIS BBOSA 



In Summary



SOCCER. Having endured the treacherous Fufa Big League for three years, Mrs Dinah Nyago says she is ready for all the ‘politics and games’ of topflight football that Uganda Premier League is set to offer.






The head teacher and patron of Kirinya – Jinja Secondary School Mrs Dinah Nyago is a very animated person.
Taking about the tedious journey Kirinya – Jinja SS has taken to qualify for the Uganda Premier League (UPL) gets her all emotional and animated.
When SCORE talked to her about her team’s exploits, the sport-loving Nyago punctuated her answers with fist-pumps – a sign of victory to emphasise how it feels being a champion of the Fufa Big League (FBL). The grin on her face quickly makes way for her authoritative voice.
She is ready for the murky waters of top flight football; its unpredictable nature and the club’s goals in the debut season. Here are excerpts of the interview.






Who is Nyago?
I was born in Rukungiri in Nyakagyeme Sub-county near Dr Kizza Besigye’s home area, about 54 years ago. My late parents Samuel and Jovans Kakirire took me to good schools like Nyakinyego C/U, Nyamifura P/S, Bweranyangi Girls, King’s College Budo and Makerere University where I obtained a Bachelor of Arts in Education degree.
I have a post-graduate diploma in education from Uganda Management Institute and a Masters in Education from Uganda Christian University (UCU) Mukono. My teaching experience dates way back in 1984, when I was appointed deputy headmaster at Rock High Tororo. In 2001, I was elevated to the post of headmistress until I joined Jinja SS in 2008.


When did you realise that you had a passion for sports?
Interestingly, I didn’t play any sport during my childhood but when I started teaching, I knew that through sports, I can give the children a sense of belonging. I have managed to turn around the fortunes of Jinja SS. From being in ruins and known for rampant strikes eight years ago, we are now champions of different disciplines.
I have supported the girls cricket team to win six Pepsi National Cricket Week trophies and we are also the reigning champions. So, it is not only soccer where we are winners.
The grades of the students have also improved greatly, which has culminated into better discipline and better performances on the sports fields as well.


How have you managed to keep your football team together for this long?
First, we began with the school team which has dominated Jinja District for the last six years. We created a team in the Regional League, which accommodates some of the school players. This regional team then feeds the Fufa Big League team that has now been promoted to the UPL. Our aim is to have a system that can ensure the proper growth of our players from school football to professional ranks.
In doing so, we have eliminated the dependence on mercenaries that immensely affected us in the past.


How big is your annual budget to sustain such a gigantic project?
It is over Shs500m because we facilitate games like soccer, cricket and rugby. We pay our players in Kirinya-Jinja SS well and on time. We also offer bursaries to talented students in our school teams.
We have made sure that we pay tuition for some players in the team that has joined the UPL since it is in our line to nurture complete players. Our goalkeeper Joel Mutakubwa is studying for a degree in procurement at MUBS (Jinja Campus), Musa Magumba is doing his Diploma in Business Administration while Hassan Zungu is also doing a Certificate in Business Administration. We care about education as well.


Are you planning to beef up your team with experienced players that can help the team stay afloat in the UPL?
We are not going for the big name players but we shall try to lure back our former players like Yunus Sibira and John Wakalayita (both at Bul) because they understand our philosophy. With coach Abbey Bogere in charge, I strongly believe we shall not be relegated.
And with God’s grace and focus, we shall be competing for the league title in three years. Failing at the playoff stage for three seasons has emboldened our resolve to fight for top honours.


You are going to be the only lady boss amongst the 15-men owned teams, how do you feel?
I am happy and honoured to be spearheading the revolution of women managing football teams in Uganda. But it must be clear that this is not a privilege because we worked for it tirelessly.
I know that if I succeed, I shall have attracted more women football patrons to break the male dominance. I only missed attending only three Jinja SS matches in the FBL Elgon Group this just concluded season but I want to attend all the league games next season.






Will there be life at Jinja SS in any case you are transferred to another school?
That is my major worry. Providing the hefty facilitation for our soccer teams has been the biggest financial sacrifice I have made during my tenure. It takes a brave heart to make such decisions. At times I have had to dig into my pockets to fund the team.
I have been appointed to positions such as the Association of Secondary School Head Teachers of Uganda (ASSHU) as the national treasurer. I am also the chairperson of games and sports committee all because of my dedication to sports.
If the new boss comes in without love for sports, I fear Jinja SS will be headed back to square one.


What challenges have your faced during your journey to the top flight?
Apart from the obvious financial challenges, we have had to deal with stereotypes of being called incapable villagers, students who cannot sustaining the Big League pressure.
Also one time a veteran coach referred to us as ‘village chicks’.


Now that it is four teams from Jinja in the UPL, will you be joining Sadolin Paints at Bugembe or will you be to Kakindu to play alongside Bul Bidco and JMC Hippos. What is your choice for a home ground?
No way. We saw this coming and began preparing our ground to fit the UPL status.
By August this year when the league is expected to start, we hope to have finished installing the perimeter fence and changing rooms.


Finally! Are you not worried that your family life is going to be exposed now that you are in the limelight?
I have the experience to manage media attention as a professional teacher.
I am a widow (lost her husband Godfrey Nyago a couple of years ago).
But I have managed to raise four responsible children; Margret Nakawungu Ochora, Francis Nyago, Paula Nyago and Raphael Ddamulira Ssozi.






editorial@ug.nationmedia.com






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Support

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.